Verity Review + ARC The Wedding Guest + ARC An Imperfect Truth Review


These reviews are shorter than my normal ones, which is why I decided to combine the three book reviews into one blog post. 
If you have read any of these books let me know what you thought of them in the comments! 

Verity
Goodreads Rating 1/5 Stars

I was so excited when my ebook copy was finally available through Libby. I began reading immediately and was automatically hooked by the first line. It was so unhinged and right up my alley. If the story had then taken the route I initially thought and became a whole investigation based on what happened on the first page, I would have finished it. However, it took a turn I wasn't expecting (which is fine, I was still intrigued) and then it got really graphic, really quick. I did not read the trigger warnings before beginning and I think that was my mistake. This book is on my do not finish (DNF) shelf and after reading more reviews on it (and the cliff notes) after the fact, I am glad I did not finish this book. As a mother, I was just very unsettled by certain aspects of Verity's manuscript (just before Chapter 8 to be precise). I only read up to chapter 8 before I decided I could not finish any longer. I read for enjoyment, so if a book is making me feel physically sick, uncomfortable, and just overall on edge (not in a good way), then I will DNF it for my own mental health and self-care. Which is what I had to do with this one. I was so disappointed as I have been waiting to finally read this one after seeing it everywhere and all my friends saying they loved it. Unfortunately, it just wasn't the book for me. 

The Wedding Guest 
Goodreads Rating 3/5 Stars

I got this ebook as an ARC from NetGalley and read about 50% of it before adding it to my DNF shelf. The writing was well done, and the storyline piqued my interest, it just didn't keep my interest. I enjoyed the back-and-forth between the past and present, and it was laid out well so I wasn't confused about what parts were then and which were now. That being said, the main character is a weak female, making the story rather unenjoyable. There were several times she could've flipped the tables, but then she just gave in and just went with whatever the situation was. She also kept thinking of different schemes and noting different subjects that she could use in her favor but then did nothing and acted as though she never thought of it. If she had been stronger and fought more during difficult situations, I probably would've read more. But the fact that she was just as weak and small as she was in her flashbacks bummed me out. She also keeps mentioning how she's not the same person and she's changed, but that isn't what's shown at all. I wish there was visual character growth between the past Emily and the present, but she's the exact same despite her repeatedly saying she isn't. 

An Imperfect Truth

I got this ebook as an ARC from NetGalley and didn’t even read to 50% before adding it to my DNF shelf. 
It was a good storyline, and I was very intrigued, however, it was just too much going on at once. I kept getting lost between the murder investigation, the on/off boyfriend, her brother's wedding, her relationship with her mother, and her hunt to find her long-lost father. I kept getting lost and uninterested because of how it kept jumping from one thing to the next. I wish it solely focused on the investigation. I also didn't understand why the author kept referring to Zed by his full name every time he was addressed. It was unnecessary, just call him Zed, we know who you're talking about. Also, Zed pushing that the murder was leading to Claire felt very forced. I didn't understand how there was a connection to the murder being a target on her based solely on her client's appointment card was discovered at the scene torn up. There was no other evidence to support she was in danger. I got annoyed rather quickly at how often it was brought up. Perhaps if I finished it then it would have made sense, but it felt like such a chore to read I was not enjoying my time reading it. That is why I have decided to add it to my DNF list. 

I want to put a disclaimer out there. Just because I did not enjoy these two books does not mean you won't, nor does it mean that I am bashing you for enjoying these reads. Verity is a trendy book, but it wasn't my cup of tea. And that's okay. If you enjoy either of these books, then that's great! I'm glad that it was something you enjoy! However, for me, it just wasn't. 



Links:

Buy Verity https://amzn.to/3DALrft

Pre-Order The Wedding Guest https://amzn.to/47aEcIN

Pre-Order An Imperfect Truth https://amzn.to/3qas9uj

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/people/Vikis-Artwork/100064750450539/

Etsy https://vikisartwork.etsy.com

Mercari https://www.mercari.com/u/757227329/?sv=0

Poshmark https://poshmark.com/closet/vikisartwork

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/125479194-victoria-vernier


Comments

Popular Posts