The Magicians by Lev Grossman Book Review


Let me know in the comments if you’ve read this book or not! 

Goodreads rating: 3/5 Stars

Summary Review:

I love fantasy novels, they are my favorite reads. However, this read was rough. I had to push myself to keep picking up the book and finish it. I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I will also not be continuing to read the rest of the series. This book probably would have been a DNF (Do Not Finish) if it hadn't been a custom annotated book order. I was very generous with the 3 stars I gave, as I can see the potential of this story, but there was so much filler and unnecessary storylines that I kept losing interest. It also made me very uncomfortable at certain points during my reading, I had to fight the urge to chuck the book across the room several times. This book did come out in 2009, and I took that into consideration with my rating as well. I remember what 2009 was like, and it was a very different time. Had I read this book then, I probably would've enjoyed it. I was also 12 at the time and thought Twilight was the best series ever written. So, use your best judgment on what that says about this book. 

Full review/thoughts throughout reading (SPOILER WARNING; Colorful Vocabulary Warning):

It was a slow start but then picked up a little bit. The pace goes back and forth from dull to the edge of my seat. It feels like there’s a lot of fluff thrown in. Every time I feel a character relationship is developing, the character disappears and a new one appears. Then, the previous character comes back or gets brought back up randomly, but only for that scene/moment. I'm used to reading first person, this is third so it's a bit different and harder for me to visualize. When Quentin talks about Fallory it reminds me a lot of Narnia. Also, Fallory keeps getting brought up at random times for only one paragraph and I’m not really getting the connection between what Quentin is referencing to what is happening in the scene. 

The timeline on this is super fast and there’s a lot of time jumps. A lot of the story felt forced and unnecessary as it was such a short time spent in that part of the timeline and nothing of significance happened. There was a lot of fluff that if taken out, it wouldn't have impacted the story either way. 

Why?! Why do they need to be foxes sent out to mate with each other? It is unnecessary, disturbing, and made me want to throw the book. I felt extremely uncomfortable reading that entire chapter. Also, WHY did it need to be an ENTIRE chapter?! 

Quentin is such a POS. He just slept with freaking Janet & Eliot and has just been blowing Alice off but making it like SHES the problem. Oh, and the fat shamming Alice pissed me off. "Alice wouldn't wear that. Couldn't with her figure." Fuck right off my dude. She would rock that fit. 

On the last hundred pages of this book I have never been so confused as I was once they were in Fillory. Like why does the bear need to start talking about honey during a discussion about witch whatever-her-name-is (and then a random fight with a bunny and a ferret?) Like there is no structure here. This author just wrote down his thoughts as they came to mind and went, "Yup, that's good.”

there is so much useless stuff in this book and then nothing to string it together. The entire book is a brainstorming outline. 

The one plot twist in the entire book and I called it at the very beginning.

I hate the fact they brought Julia back at the end lol Like why did you make this side character that's only mentioned 3 times the queen of Fillory?

Well, that sequel that came out of nowhere unannounced. Also, really fetching with bringing Emily whats-her-face back for two pages at the end. There was no need/reason for her to show up. At least he didn't sleep with her like I thought he was gonna lol

My guess is he sleeps with Julia within the first 5 pages of book 2. "Alice who?" Hahahaha 


Links:

Buy the book https://amzn.to/3rT5BPv

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/people/Vikis-Artwork/100064750450539/

Etsy https://vikisartwork.etsy.com

Mercari https://www.mercari.com/u/757227329/?sv=0

Poshmark https://poshmark.com/closet/vikisartwork

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/125479194-victoria-vernier


Comments

Popular Posts